Friday, April 6, 2012

Biblical Money Talk...What's Next? Politics

I have had unresolved issues with popular Christianity ever since I joined the fold.  As a youthful heathen, church folk generally got on my nerves.  I always thought of them as boring, narrow-minded and judgmental.  As I became more convinced that there was a God, I embarked to discover which religion got it right.  To make a long story short, I came to the conclusion that Jesus is Lord.  Thus, I guess all those snooty Christian kids turned out to be right after-all.

With the good book in hand, I set off to find a congregation.  I expected to find buildings full of Bible following Christians, excited to see me, and eager to make me a disciple.  The first three churches turned out to be very far from what I expected.  Church is more like a themed social club.  They hang similar items to decorate, dress like each other, and share generally the same interpretation of the scriptures.  New folks are smiled at.. well at least two of them smiled a lot.  The first one was a Catholic Church, I think that particular order had banned hand-shaking, smiling or any outward signs of friendliness outside of "sharing the peace".  For those unfamiliar, that is a point during mass where the priest directs folks to be nice to eachother.  Weird, all of a sudden everyone smiles, shakes hands, and  say "peace be with you".  It lasts for about 30 seconds, then back to the stone-face.  We left for a new church after getting dissed in a baptism class by the class leaders and deacon.  Quite shameful events, and definitely not Christian behavior.

The next churches were more friendly, but there is just something wrong.  It's as if they have no experience or plan for dealing with adult new believers. The churches are kinda cliqued up.  You know, there are groups of friends and they acknowledge new people, but don't really move past "hello", "my name is", and "welcome to ...".  I just expected there to be intelligent strong Christians that welcomed new believers and were prepared to help them on their new found journey along the straight and narrow path.  Yea...not exactly.  It's more like prison and high school social dynamics.  I shouldn't say that, in prison you are almost guaranteed acceptance into one of the social groups.  No, I kid thee. It's not that bad.

Five years and three churches later, I'm still disappointed.  Forced into a DIY discipleship role, I've had to rely on scripture to figure this out.  Now, the problem is that the more I learn from scripture the more I realize that those in the church can't disciple newbies, because they barely seem to know or practice what it says and they've been there their whole life.  The method seems to encourage scriptures about faith, and especially the grace and forgiveness parts.  Any verses that feel convicting must be put through a three part filter process.  First you try to reinterpret it to exclude yourself.  If that doesn't work then you avoid discussing it.  Finally, when all else fails, state that everyone sins and that is why we need Jesus.  Those instances are rare because experienced Christians are wise enough to avoid those topics.  Instead it is much more effective to spend one's time talking about homosexuals, crackheads, and atheists.  They are not there to argue and chances are that no one will have that guilty convicted feeling caused by discussing sin that we actually struggle with.

Anyway, I've decided to start using my website design skills, SEO skills, and study time to make notes of different topics that I study in the Bible.  And since it is my study, I choose to discuss what I feel are our failings in modern U.S Christianity.  Not other peoples problems, but mine too.  Those sins that rest easy in our hearts due to cheap grace, and prosperity theology.  Unlike this worthless blog, I promise to actually proofread and edit the new websites.  The first will be about money in the bible

Shameless link to a Colonial Charleston Tea company.

If you read to here, I am sure that you are seriously disappointed.  Sorry to have wasted your time, this blog is a typing exercise.  I just type and go.  No spellcheck, no proof read, nada, just pure mental spray, lawn sprinkler status.

4 comments:

  1. hello!,I like your writing very much! proportion we
    communicate more approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert in this house to resolve my problem.
    May be that's you! Taking a look ahead to peer you.

    Visit my webpage - online cash advance loans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everу state oг even the sоftwаre intегfaсe.
    It's up to you and could possibly be so important that they have found yet another unethical practice that ramps up their revenues. It will be a one time event or a short review could make or break the takeover and merger deals that Goldman'ѕ bankеrs weге woгkіng on or
    provіԁing the funding for.

    Also νisit my ѕite: realtor internet marketing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eѵerу state or even the ѕoftware interfaсe.
    It's up to you and could possibly be so important that they have found yet another unethical practice that ramps up their revenues. It will be a one time event or a short review could make or break the takeover and merger deals that Goldman's bankers ωere
    ωorking on or рroѵiding the funding for.


    Lоok into my web site realtor internet marketing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Οff for a scаn on mу fіnger, can
    bаrely tуpe wіth this . Rly hard ωriting ωіth a fгасtured forefіngеr!
    ?.

    Feel free to ѕurf tо my web-sitе: personal loans uk

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment with links. If it's relevant, we'll leave it up.